Wednesday 9 October 2013

Week 2...and a little bit of week 3!

This was written a wee while ago...I just haven’t had time to post it!

I’m coming to the end of my second week here and South Africa is feeling more like home. Last weekend was slightly less exciting than we had planned but it was still an adventure! Instead of going skydiving on Saturday (because it was too cloudy) we went to this incredible food market at the Old Biscuit Mill...it was every foodie’s dream! We definitely made it worth our while and ate copious amounts of food from almost every stall! The music was great, the sun was out and my belly was full, what more could I ask for! 


Oh and we went to this incredible Ethopian restaurant for dinner where you eat with your hands on this big pancake thing which was incredible!




Then on Sunday...oh Sunday. Sunday was an adventure. Jacinta and I decided that we would check out the Cheetah Outreach Centre at Somerset West to hold a little cheetah cub and walk with the adult cheetahs! On Sunday we decided that a taxi was too expensive to get there and, despite ample warnings not to get the train on a Sunday because they’re unsafe and only come once every hour, we still decided to get the train. Oh boy. When we got to the ticket station at Obs the lady gave us the wrong ticket so we got on the wrong train, only to realise after two stops that we were going in the opposite direction from where we needed to be. So on the second wrong stop we got off the train and then we had to go back to Obs to return our ticket. But we would have had to wait an hour for the train back to Obs so we had to get a taxi back to Obs, exchange our ticket, and then wait an hour for the correct train we needed to get to Cape Town. Once we got to Cape Town we had to wait ANOTHER hour to get the train to Somerset West. Phwoof. 2 hours gone and still an hour of travelling to do. So then once we arrived in Somerset West we asked for directions to the Cheetah Outreach Centre but no one knew where it was...except for one man who didn’t seem too certain. With “directions” in hand we started to make our way to the Cheetah Outreach Centre and were so relieved when we finally made it...only after 4 hours of travelling by train and on foot to get there! I will spare you from all the details about the Cheetah Outreach Centre but we basically travelled for 4 hours to stroke a cheetah for 30 seconds who was on a lead and looked very unhappy in a small enclosure. We couldn’t help but feel disappointed by our experience but we were so relieved we had taken the train in the end because if I had paid 1300 rand for 30 seconds we would have felt a lot worse!  But oh well, it was an experience and I’m glad I went because I learnt to never, ever take a train on a Sunday. Ever.



Because I wrote this post a while ago I’ve also had a second weekend gone by which I haven’t told you about! So here it goes! On Saturday we went back to the Old Biscuit Mill and grabbed some more delicious food and then we had an afternoon full of rugby. We watched a national rugby game at Newlands and then watched South Africa vs New Zealand at the local pub. The kiwi game was so tense and SA narrowly (well...maybe not so narrowly) lost in the end. The locals in the pub were getting very in to the game which reminded me of my dad and sister screaming at the TV when Scotland have a match. Then on Sunday we finally managed to go Shark Cage diving after 3 weeks of willing for the weather to improve. I can’t explain how excited I have been about I have been about shark cage diving and I thought my sea sickness would subside after the adrenaline started to rush...but god I was wrong! I spend about 99% of the time leaning over the edge of the boat as my breakfast resurfaced and couldn’t stand up long enough to put my wet suit on and navigate my way to the other side of the boat to see actually see a shark. But when I finally decided to heave my wet suit on and jump in the cage I saw my first shark up close and personal...





Gotta run now but I’ll be back in touch next week...hopefully, if I’m not too busy having fun and being all sociable with our 11 new volunteers!  

No comments:

Post a Comment