Saturday 21 September 2013

Less than 6 hours to go.

Well, today is the day. In less than 6 hours I'll be making my way to Aberdeen Airport to begin my 20 hour journey to Cape Town. Crikey. I've spent quite a bit of time travelling around the world with my family but nothing can really prepare you for travelling on your own. I suppose I'm also a bit guilty for paying absolutely no attention to anything useful when we're travelling and, well, now I find myself worrying about the sequence of events which follows the initial check-in at the airport. Yes, really. In this last week I have become a worrier of epic proportions. My mind is full of 'what ifs' and there's a small part of me that just wishes someone would ask me to stay. But even though I'm worrying about all the small details, I know I'm going to have the most amazinggg time when I'm there :) So I'm going to take some advice from Bobby McFerrin - "Don't Worry Be Happy"!



What a cheery wee tune!

To take my mind off worrying I've also been adding lots of exciting things to my "All the fun, exciting, and potential life threatening things my guide book and the internet say I should do in Cape Town..." list. So far my list stands at 16 but I'm hoping to add a few more ideas to it once I get there.  So here it is, the list...

1) Meet the locals and teach the kids how to juggle :) One of the best things about volunteering is that you get the chance to meet the locals and get immersed in their way of life. They are always so happy to see you and spend time with you and that's what really makes the whole experience worthwhile!
2)Shark Cage Diving (Sorry dad).
3) Hike up Table Mountain and get the cable car back down. As one of the new 7 wonders of nature Table Mountain is a must see! 
4) Go whale watching at the Hermanus whale festival. Ah this looks so exciting.
5) Walk along the Garden Route.
6) Visit Cape Point, the most south-westerly tip of Africa.  Some beautiful beaches there!
7) Visit the Kruger National Park and go on Safari!
8) Go swimming with the penguins at Boarders Beach :)
9) Check out the sand dunes at De Hoop nature reserve
10) Visit Robben Island where Nelson Mandela was imprisoned.
11) Go kayaking, rock climbing and scuba diving
12) Check out the Kirstenbosch summer sunset concerts at the foot of Table Mountain
13) Get street food. Specifically some Bunny Chow (it's not actually bunnies...!)
14) Visit the Cango Caves.
15) Go on a sight seeing tour bus. It has to be done everywhere you go!
16) Visit a vineyard or two...

Well I'll sign off for now and speak to you again once I'm in Cape Town :)

Sarah x





No comments:

Post a Comment