Wednesday 18 September 2013

Just 3 days to go!

So this is it. After many months of waiting, my trip to Cape Town is just around the corner. I have 3 days left to squeeze in a bit of last minute shopping, packing and goodbyes, and then I'll be off. On my own. I really am looking forward to my little adventure, but I'm feeling a bit more nervous than excited at the moment. And I have this terrible "I know I've forgotten something" sort of feeling. My family and friends all seem quite concerned about my occasional lack of common sense, my non-existent navigational skills, and my unrelenting desire to go shark cage diving...so I can see why they might be a little worried. So really my reason for starting a blog was to reassure everyone that I'm still alive and to tell you all about my 3 months in Cape Town as a social media and marketing intern for African Impact :)

I guess my experience of blogs starts and stops with my friend's fabulous fashion blog (Miss Millie Mae - check it out, she really is fabulous!). I've probably come across the occasional food blog when I've been busy searching for recipes but my knowledge of blogs and the blogosphere (can you call it that?) is pretty limited. My lack of knowledge about blogs therefore made it difficult to think of an appropriate bloggy-sounding name. I had originally thought that I would just call it Sarah's Travel Blog, but, well, it was boring. So then I looked for some blogspiration online. I found a blog name generator where you input your nickname, hobbies, important words etc and it came up with some, em, interesting options. Then I asked some friends for some advice and they came up with some catchy alliterations. But really, what I wanted was something more...poetic? So I searched for some travel songs and a website listing the top 12 travel songs popped up. I looked at the names of the songs and thought I should name the blog after the Iggy Pop song 'The Passenger' which I love. But then I came across the song '1000 miles away' by Hoodoo Gurus and it gave me an idea. So I looked up the distance between Aberdeen and Cape Town and found it to be 6,379 miles away. So there it is, the name of the blog then became 'Just 6,400 miles away...'. 

So I'll sign off for now and leave you with song number 9 on the best songs list. The Passenger by Iggy Pop...





No comments:

Post a Comment